Thursday 5 February 2009

Windows 7 beta test results

Some thoughts:

Task Manager renders itself rather useless in so many occasions when I simply CAN NOT kill a process. Although being a member of Administrators group I can't kill iTunes.exe for instance. Same happens with the other applications, firefox.exe for instance. I can't understand the underlying logic of Windows 7 performance or this must be an issue with the 3rd party software. The applications stay active in the background sometimes even when actually closed, i.e. the app is not shown in the Applications tab, but is under processes.

Another issue seems to be with the laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61WN) returning from the Hibernation state. I must try deleting the hybfil.sys file and trying again, but I would not hold my breath. After resuming from hibernation, there is a constant hard disk activity, although Defrag task is disabled.

I am using Windows 7 beta build 7000 for everyday work, as this is the only way IMHO to really test the system. Otherwise it is simply an assumption. And we all know what an assumption is.

No comments: